A fresh coat of paint to a timber front door can dramatically improve its appearance and brighten up the front of your property.
This page is all about front door painting, how to do it and how much it costs to pay a decorator to do it for you.
We last updated the prices on this page on the
In general; it’s easier to paint a previously painted door than an unpainted one that will require additional coats of paint.
We sent out price requests by email to local handymen and painters and decorators in 2016 and 2018. We asked them to give us a price to paint an old timber front door.
The results of our research can be found on this page.
We can also help you get a competitive price for a professional to paint your front door.
Our Price Guide Updated For 2018
Here is the works schedule for the painting of an existing door.
Everything listed here is included in the prices below.
- Remove the letterbox, door knocker and any other fittings
- Wash the door with a damp cloth to remove any dust and contaminants
- Repair any holes or defects with a quick-drying wood filler
- Sand down the front door
- Apply a knot treatment chemical to new timber doors (stops wood knots from bleeding)
- Apply primer, undercoat and a top coat of gloss, allowing for sufficient drying times between each coat
- Fix fittings back onto the door
|Location||Small Business /Trader||Large Business|
|Need a Custom Price? >|
|South, SW and Midlands||£200.00||£275.00|
|Outer Region and North||£145.00||£145.00|
How to Reduce Costs
Door painting is a small project and your chosen contractor may apply their minimum day rates for this type of work
It may work out cheaper to have this work done as part of a larger project, such as fascia or window painting.
While most contractors will be happy to complete a small job like this, it does take time for the coats of paint to dry, so will require several back-and-forth visits by the tradesperson.
Compare Quotes From Rated People Today
We hope you’ve found our updated price guide insightful.
If you would like a written quote for front door painting, from a local tradesperson, we recommend Rated People.
Rated People have featured in:
Why we recommend Rated People
- Traders are checked and feedback reviewed by staff
- They help you avoid cowboy painters and decorators
- They can save you time – only traders actively looking for work are listed, no more chasing tradespeople!
- Over 3million jobs posted on their site by customers just like you
- 500,000 reviews and ratings to read through