Are you looking for a guide price for a qualified electrician to rewire an entire house?
If you are; you’ve come to the right place. On this page, you’ll find our recently updated house rewire price guide.
We can also help you get a competitive price that’s based on the size and specification of your property.
The prices on this page were last updated on the
Our Rewiring Price Guide – Based on a 3-Bed Property
Over the last 4 years, we have periodically asked electricians from several locations around the UK to provide us with a price to rewire a 3-bed house.
On this page you’ll find the results of our research, you can use this a guide to the current rewiring prices being charged in the UK.
As no two projects are the same, here is a list of everything that’s included:
- Three double power sockets in each bedroom.
- Eight double sockets in the front room.
- Fourteen power points in the kitchen.
- Two double sockets in the hallway and landing.
- Two wired smoke alarms.
- A selection of down-lighters as well as the general ceiling lighting.
- A bathroom wall light, shaving point and a point for the immersion/water heater.
- One outside power point plus two external security lights. Power will also be supplied to a garage for points and lighting.
- The consumer unit (fusebox) will also be replaced.
- We have requested a white plastic finish on all the materials.
- The quote includes full bonding (see here if you are unsure what this means).
- The price also includes the plastering work needed after the house is rewired.
- All waste will be removed and disposed of.
We have not included the cost of wallpapering and redecorating.
Limitations and Caveats
We think our price guide displayed below is insightful but there are a few caveats and limitations you should be aware of.
The cost to rewire a house is based upon:
- Where you live, with London being the most expensive area.
- How large your property is – our guide is based on a 3-bed house.
- Will the property be full of possessions or will it be empty?
- Will it include the cost of plaster wall repairs?
- The type of finish on the sockets and switches is also a factor – white plastic is the cheapest option. Polished chrome will cost much more.
Cost to Rewire a House
The table below displays an average of the prices we were given.
|Location||Small Business /Trader||Large Business|
|South, SW and Midlands||£3800.00||£4800.00|
|Outer Region and North||N/A||N/A|
|Need a Custom Price? >|
Get Your Own Personalised Quote
- Send in details of your electrical rewiring project.
- Read reviews created by recent customers.
- Get a written quote to consider.
- Leave your own feedback when the project is done.
How Long Will it Take an Electrician to Complete a House Rewire?
When gathering quotes, we took the opportunity to ask our chosen electricians how long they thought the project would take to complete.
The average time was around 4.5 days.
With testing, finishing off, certification and paperwork, we think you can expect it to take 5 days to rewire a house of this size.
Obviously, if more workers are deployed, the project will be completed more quickly.
The work will also take longer if you:
- Request a full clean up each evening.
- Want temporary power provided each evening.
- Change your plans at the last minute with extra points and sockets etc.
If the house is occupied and full of possessions then you can expect the work to take significantly longer – several of our electricians suggested if the house was occupied it might take more than ten days.
Some even stated that they refuse to rewire a house unless the occupants move out during the works.
Can You Live in a House During a Rewire?
This was one of the questions we put to our chosen contractors.
The advice was overwhelming; electricians do not like rewiring an entire house if the occupants are still living there.
While the work can be done, it will, according to the advice we have been given, take considerably longer.
When carrying out a house a rewire, the electricians need access to all the rooms at all times, they will also need to lift floorboards, cut into walls and create plenty of dust and mess.
Ideally, most of the possessions should be removed from the home and any large items placed in the centre of the room.
This creates an environment that isn’t ideal for occupants and it’s best for them to move out for a few days.
When we first launched our site we wanted to know how certain trades were perceived by the general public.
How trustworthy are electricians compared to other tradespeople such as builders, driveway installers and plumbers?
Over eight thousand people have taken part in our poll so far.
Who do you think are the least trustworthy tradespeople in the UK?
Explore the results and cast your vote here.
Get a Price For a House Rewire Today
We recently partnered with Rated People – the UK’s leading website for sourcing competitive quotes from rated and reviewed tradespeople.
Get up to three quotes, explore ratings and reviews and check their credentials.
Rated People have appeared in:
- Submit details
- Read reviews and ratings.
- Get a written quote promptly.
- Leave your own feedback when the house rewire is complete.