Welcome to Quotation Check! How much does it cost to install/replace eaves felt, what work is involved and why does this felt need to be replaced? This page is part of our new series of price guides covering common roofing repair and maintenance work. You can see our full price list here.
This page was last updated on the
Our Researched Cost to Install Eaves Felt
For this example, we are assuming there is 16 metres of eaves felt that needs to be installed on a semi-detached house. We assume there are no access issues such as a conservatory preventing access up to gutter height.
As you can see from the table below, the average cost to replace 16 metres of eaves felt is £330.00 + vat. This figure includes the cost of the materials, which come to approximately £35.00. Expect to pay more if a scaffold company is used to erect the access equipment or you choose a larger company.
|Location||Medium Sized Business||Larger Business (5+ employees)|
|Need a Custom Price? >|
|South, SW and Midlands||£350.00||£350.00|
|Outer Region and North||£300.00||£300.00|
Arrange Your Personalised Roof Repair Quote Today
Complete the form on this page to get customized roof repair quotes from local tradespeople:
- Post specifics of your eaves felt project
- Read ratings, reviews & feedback
- 3million job listings posted so far
- Over half a million reviews on their site
- A FREE and popular service
- No obligation whatsover
Get started by filling out the form.
How Trustworthy are Roofers in the UK?
See the results and cast your own vote. Are roofing contractors seen as trustworthy in the UK?
Eaves Felt – A Quick Guide
Eaves felt is installed at the lowest part of the roof and overhangs into the guttering.
There are two main purposes of eaves felt:
- If any water gets past the roof tiles, the felt and eaves felt will prevent it from entering the loft. The eaves felt will ensure the water is guided into the gutter. The felts under the tiles are important – if you get a broken tile, they are the difference between a flooded house and dry house.
- Because eaves felt overlaps into the guttering, it will prevent rainwater from running/dripping behind the guttering and rot your fascia boards.
See the photo below as a good example of eaves felt being fitted:
How Difficult is it to Replace Felt at the Eaves?
Most roofing contractors will replace the felt by following these steps:
- Erect access equipment to gutter height (usually an access tower).
- Remove the first course of roof tiles (sometimes the second course too).
- Using a Stanley Knife, cut the felt a few inches above the fascia, remove and dispose of the off-cut.
- Slide eaves felt tray under the existing roofing felt, ensure the new tray overlaps into the guttering neatly (see photo).
- Secure tray with nails into the rafters
- Re-lay roof tiles, nailed as required to the roof batons.
How Long Will the Work Take?
On a semi detached house, with eaves at the front and rear, expect the work to take half a day. This includes the time to erect and dismantle access towers up to gutter height.
While this work could be done from ladders, health and safety require access equipment such as towers/platforms.
Where to Purchase the Product?
They can be purchased from most roofing suppliers and even online via Amazon.
(Q) Do I have to use an eaves tray?
(A) No, you can use traditional felt, but it may sag. You can install ply underneath the felt to support it at the eaves. The plastic eaves trays are easier and quicker to install and are cheap. They also provide a rigid overlap into the gutter and they won’t flap around in the wind like traditional felt that overlaps into the gutter.
(Q) What happens if my roof doesn’t have eaves felt?
(A) Plenty of roofs don’t have eaves felt, usually because the traditional felt has rotted at the point where it overlaps into the gutter. You may get watermarks on the fascia/soffit boards and they may rot sooner than ones that are protected by an eaves felt. If you get a broken tile, the water won’t pass through to the gutter but may empty out onto the soffits or ceiling close to the eaves part of the roof.
Get a Quote From Rated People
Studies have shown that you can typically save up to 32% by getting 3 or more quotes for your eaves felt project.
That is just one of many reasons why we have partnered with Rated People, the United Kingdom’s trusted consumer quotation service to supply you with up to 3 written quotes for roof repair work.
You can read reviews from genuine past customers, check your chosen contractor has all the relevant qualifications/credentials and take your time before deciding if you wish to proceed with the project.
There is no obligation on your part whatsoever and the service provided by Rated People is free of charge.
Rated People Have Appeared in:
- Feedback is Frequently Reviewed by Rated People
- Only Real Customers Can Leave Reviews (unlike other sites where anyone can)
- Avoid Cowboy Traders – Trustmark Approved Traders are Highlighted
- Avoid Time Wasters – These Are Genuine Roofers Seeking Work
- Over 50,000 Tradespeople are Listed