Is your roof looking tired and dirty? The solution could be a roof coating, these have become very popular in recent years.
You can expect a fresh looking roof without the price tag of a new roof, but how much does roof coating cost in the UK?
Welcome to Quotation Check – we are the UK’s leading home improvement cost guide website.
We asked dozens of roof cleaning firms how much they charge to clean and recolour a typical roof.
Below you’ll find the results of our research along with some great tips. We can also help you get a competitive quote for your roof.
We last updated the prices on this page on the
Photos of What You Can Expect
If you’ve never seen what a roof coating looks like, see the photos below:
What is the Average Cost to Clean and Then Coat a Roof?
Roof coatings are paints and sealants that are applied to old roof tiles to help rejuvenate their appearance.
You can see the difference between old and freshly painted tiles is stark:
In 2014 and again in 2018, we contacted dozens of roof coating companies from various locations in the United Kingdom and asked them to give us a price for roof cleaning and coating.
We also asked a few friends to get quotes for us as well.
Our of the prices we received were all for the following work:
- a semi-detached house
- the property has good access all round
- the roof has standard concrete tiles
- the roof doesn’t require any remedial work required (cement work, guttering, chimney stack etc are all in good condition)
- the price includes the application of a moss inhibiting chemical which prevents future moss growth
- the roof will be finished with two layers of brown roof coating
The Highest and Lowest Quotes
When we received quotes from our chosen companies we were surprised by the huge difference between the highest and lowest prices.
This is perhaps the largest gulf we have seen so far in our research into home improvement prices.
The lowest quote we received – £850.00
The highest quote we received – £4800.00
The prices above were for a semi-detached house.
Because of the huge price differences, we can only suggest you source more than three quotes before proceeding with the work. Accept the first quote at your peril!
Our Guideline Price For Roof Coating:
|Location||Medium Sized Business||Larger Business (5+ employees)|
|South, SW and Midlands||£1750.00||£2500.00|
|Outer Region and North||£1500.00||£1750.00|
|Need a Custom Price? >|
As you can see from our research above, the average cost to clean and then coat a typical roof is around £2000.00.
Get Your Personalised Quote Here
Our price guides have helped thousands of people but don’t forget; every roof is different.
Our figures are not a substitute for a fixed written quote that’s based on the size, spec and location of your roof.
- Submit specifics of your coating project
- Check ratings of local tradespeople and firms
- There’s no obligation
- You can even leave your own feedback when the job is completed, so other consumers can make informed decisions
How Difficult is Roof Cleaning and Coating?
This type of work is very labour intensive and should only be completed by those competent in this field.
Here is a works schedule, we based this upon the written quotes we sourced from roof cleaning firms:
- Carry out an initial site survey.
- Set up all access and safety equipment. A scaffold is usually required to protect workers from falling off the roof.
- Any damaged roof tiles should be replaced.
- The gutters should be disconnected from drainage pipes, this is to prevent waste material from being flushed into the soakaway.
- Thoroughly pressure wash the roof tiles, starting at the top of the roof and working downwards towards the guttering.
- Apply a fungicide chemical to the tiles to prevent moss, lichen and algae from forming underneath the newly applied coating
- Apply two coats of roof coating in the chosen colour. Leave sufficient drying time between each coat.
How Long Does the Roof Coating Process Take?
We asked all of our chosen roof coating companies how long they thought the work will take.
Most suggested a timescale of around 2 days.
The first day is spent cleaning the roof and treating it with the fungicide.
The second day is when the first layer of roof coating is applied. If this is done in the summer then the second could be applied later on the same day. However, if the work is done on a cooler day, the drying time will be much longer and they will instead have to come back on a third day to apply the second coat.
This type of work is very weather dependent so the two days might not be consecutive.
We did a lot of research into roof coating and do not believe these types of paints/coatings should be applied in winter or during damp conditions.
It would be best to wait until the summer months, just like you would if you wanted to paint any other exterior part of your property.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) How long will the coating last?
A) Most coatings come with a 10-year guarantee and we would expect the colour to last longer than this.
Q) Will the coating prevent moss growth?
A) No, not entirely but it may reduce moss growth in the short term.
Q) Can the roof coating be applied without the roof tiles being pressure washed?
A) No, the roof needs to be thoroughly cleaned first to remove oils, algae, moss and other contaminants that would otherwise prevent the coating from adhering correctly to the tiles.
Compare Roof Coating Quotes
We have partnered with Rated People, the United Kingdom’s leading consumer quotation service.
Rated People can supply you with written quotes for roof cleaning and coating.
Rated People have appeared in:
- Carrying out reference checks
- Posting feedback and reviews on their website
- Only allowing reviews from genuine confirmed customers
- Highlighting Trustmark approved businesses